The truth is, no matter what your suits look like, how expensive they are, or how well they frame your body, you won't be able to capture the respect of anyone if you do not keep up with your personal grooming. Unsightly and unkempt hair can make or break the look you are trying to create, regardless of your choice of suit.
Many men consider the art of personal grooming to be taboo. It should not be something that is discussed or even thought about because doing so will somehow endanger their masculinity. However, even though you may be one of those manly men, personal grooming is an essential part of creating the image you want in the corporate world.
Taking care of and maintaining facial hair should be the first order of duty, of every man's daily routine. When shaving, here are a few guidelines you should follow:
- Shave after you shower. This will allow the water and steam of the shower to soften your hair follicles and will also give you a chance to scrub the dirt and grime off of your face before you shave.
- Shave with the grain of the hair. This usually means you will be shaving downward. Shaving against the grain can lead to ingrown hairs, cuts, and razor bumps.
- Rinse often and use short strokes.
- Avoid using aftershave if it contains alcohol or drying agents. These can cause your face to become too dry and will make you appear older than you actually are.
- If you are younger than fifty, don't think you can get away with a Tom Selleck moustache. Trim it down. Okay, even if you are over fifty, it's really not in style anymore.
- Even a full beard needs taken care of. Make sure to keep it trimmed and washed.
- Sideburns look great on some individuals. On others, they don't. Make sure you are not in the second category if you wish to pull off this look.
Other Grooming Tips to Look Polished in Your Custom Made Suits
Here are some other tips on personal grooming:
- Maintain a freshly cut hair style.
- Completely bald is sometimes a better alternative than trying to give the illusion of hair with a comb-over or toupee.
- Keep your nose and ear hair trimmed. Unsightly hair can draw attention from even the nicest suits.